About the author: Jinane Doughan is a professional make-up artist with a degree from the French Fashion Institute ESMOD Dubai. She specialized in natural handmade skincare and haircare products.
Her YouTube channel, Jinane World, has 600+ educational videos and 100K+ subscribers.
She is an accredited Master Trainer and gives courses at a reputed academy that has 16 branches worldwide. She sells online courses about natural skincare.
Disclaimer: This article is for educational purposes only and does not constitute professional medical advice. Use any natural skincare or haircare products at your own risk and perform a patch test before use.
It’s time for you to make your own hair mist. DIY hair mist is an affordable and effective way to transform dull and lifeless hair into a glossy, gorgeous mane.
In this article, we’ll show you a simple recipe for a DIY hair mist that will leave your hair looking and feeling amazing. So, get ready to say goodbye to bad hair days and hello to a luscious, radiant mane with our easy-to-follow recipe for DIY hair mist.
- Distilled water
- Polysorbate 80
- Ethyl alcohol 95%
- Water color powder. It can be dissolved in water. We will use it minimally as it can smear color quickly.
- Essential oil – Fragrance of your choice.
- Small bowl
- Spray bottle for the hair mist final product
- Measuring cup and beaker to measure volumes
- A couple of toothpicks
Steps: DIY Hair Mist
1- In a cup or a small bowl, add 10 ml of polysorbate 80.
2- Add 10 ml of your preferred essential oil. When making a hair mist, both the polysorbate 80 and the essential oil must be in equal measures.
3- Mix the two ingredients together for 2 minutes, so that they are fully blended.
4- Once you have finished mixing, add 50 ml of the ethyl alcohol 95%. Slowly pour it into the bowl whilst mixing at the same time.
5- In a separate beaker, measure 50 ml of distilled water but do not add it to the mix yet. The ethyl alcohol 95% and the distilled water are always added in equal measures.
6- Using the tip of a toothpick, pick up a tiny bit of the water color powder you have chosen, and stir it in the distilled water. Water color powders are strong, which is why we only need a small amount. While working, use it sparingly, because it can easily smear your fingers and your work area.
7- Now it is time to add the colored distilled water to the main mix. Slowly pour the colored distilled water into the bowl and mix at the same time. Continue mixing for 2 minutes.
8- Pour the completed DIY hair mist into a spray bottle.
It is important to note that you may not use the hair mist until after one week. This will allow the alcohol smell to dissipate. Any bubbles will disappear and the hair mist will become crystal clear. The DIY hair mist does not require a preservative as we added alcohol.
How to Use the DIY Hair Mist
Using your homemade hair mist is easy and straightforward. Here’s how to use it:
- Hold the bottle around 6 inches away from your head and spray the mist onto your hair, focusing on the mid-lengths and ends.
- Be careful not to apply too much mist, as it can make your hair feel damp or sticky.
- Once you’ve applied the mist, gently brush your hair to distribute it evenly.
- Style your hair as desired, and enjoy your newly revitalized, glossy locks.
You can use your DIY hair mist on damp or dry hair, depending on your preference. It may be used daily and will leave your hair smelling fantastic. So, try incorporating this easy-to-make hair mist into your hair care routine for gorgeous, healthy-looking hair.
Benefits to Your Hair
This DIY hair mist has several benefits for your hair. Here are some of the benefits you can expect:
- Adds shine: The hair mist contains Polysorbate 80, which helps to add shine to your hair, leaving it looking glossy and healthy.
- Provides fragrance: The hair mist contains a fragrance of your choice, which will leave your hair smelling fresh and fantastic.
- Hydrates the hair: The distilled water in the hair mist can help to hydrate your hair, leaving it feeling soft and nourished.
- Protects the hair: The hair mist can help to protect your hair from damage caused by environmental factors such as the sun, wind, and pollution.
More articles on DIY natural handmade haircare products in this sub-category.
Video How-To on My Channel | Jinane World
The steps to make the DIY Hair Mist are demonstrated in this video.