About the author: Jinane Doughan is a professional make-up artist with a degree from the French Fashion Institute ESMOD Dubai. She specialized in natural handmade skincare and haircare products.
Her YouTube channel, Jinane World, has 600+ educational videos and 100K+ subscribers.
She is an accredited Master Trainer and gives courses at a reputed academy that has 16 branches worldwide. She sells online courses about natural skincare.
Disclaimer: This article is for educational purposes only and does not constitute professional medical advice. Use any natural skincare or haircare products at your own risk and perform a patch test before use.
In this article, we will make a DIY lightening body scrub with the core ingredients, blue nila and licorice extract. Each one of them brighten the skin, especially the licorice extract.
Just imagine the result when using both in the scrub.
- White sugar
- Solid cocoa butter
- Soft shea butter
- Ewax NF
- Nila powder (specifically for the skin)
- Phenoxyethanol preservative
- Essential oil (optional)
- Concentrated licorice extract with glycerin, as prepared in our article here
- Argan oil. This may be replaced with sweet almond oil, jojoba oil or grapeseed oil
- Glass beaker
- Electric hand mixer
- 20 grams of cocoa butter = 0.70 oz
- 20 grams of shea butter = 0.70 oz
- 20 grams of E-Wax NF = 0.70 oz
- 60 grams of argan oil = 2.11 oz
- 3 grams of the licorice extract with glycerin = 0.10 oz
- 4 grams of the essential oil = 0.14 oz
- 2 grams of the phenoxyethanol preservative = 0.07 oz
- 2 grams of the blue nila powder = 0.07 oz
- 200 grams of white sugar = 7.05 oz
Steps: DIY Lightening Body Scrub
1- In a beaker or bowl, put 20 grams of cocoa butter.
2- Add 20 grams of shea butter.
3- Add 20 grams of Ewax NF.
4- Add 60 grams of argan oil.
5- Place the bowl in a hot water bath. A hot water bath is done by placing the bowl in a larger pot of hot steaming water. This will gradually melt whatever is inside the bowl without causing it to burn. As it melts, make sure to mix every now and then.
6- Once the ingredients have melted, leave the bowl to cool down till it is comfortable to the touch. Then, place the bowl in the freezer for 15 minutes (or in the fridge for 30 minutes). We want the surface of the melted contents to become solid before using a mixer.
7- Once the surface has solidified, use the electric hand mixer to whip up the contents.
8- Place the bowl back in the freezer for another 10 minutes.
9- After 10 minutes in the freezer, use the electric mixer again till you get a white cream-like texture. If you feel that the consistency has become too solid, add a bit of argan oil and mix again, till the texture becomes as in the image below.
10- Add 3 grams of the licorice extract with glycerin (you may add up to 5 grams).
11- Add 4 grams of your preferred essential oil.
12- Add 2 grams of the phenoxyethanol preservative.
13- Mix well.
14- Once all the ingredients have been mixed thoroughly, add 2 grams of the blue nila powder to the bowl and mix well.
15- It is now time to add the sugar. Add 200 grams of white sugar to the bowl and mix well. You may also use the electric mixer to make sure that all the ingredients have been well mixed.
16- Store the scrub in a jar.
More How-To articles on DIY body scrubs are in this sub-category.
How To Use The DIY Lightening Body Scrub
- Rinse your skin in warm water.
- Put an amount of the scrub in your hand.
- Rub it on your skin in circular motions, using your hand or an exfoliating glove.
- Scrub your skin gently for about 30 seconds.
- Rinse your skin with water.
Video How-To on My Channel | Jinane World
The steps to make this DIY lightening body scrub are demonstrated in this video.