About the author: Jinane Doughan is a professional make-up artist with a degree from the French Fashion Institute ESMOD Dubai. She specialized in natural handmade skincare and haircare products.
Her YouTube channel, Jinane World, has 600+ educational videos and 100K+ subscribers.
She is an accredited Master Trainer and gives courses at a reputed academy that has 16 branches worldwide. She sells online courses about natural skincare.
Disclaimer: This article is for educational purposes only and does not constitute professional medical advice. Use any natural skincare or haircare products at your own risk and perform a patch test before use.
If you’re looking for a more cost-effective way to achieve plump, hydrated skin, making your own DIY hyaluronic acid serum might be worth considering.
Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring substance that keeps our skin hydrated and youthful-looking, but as we age, our body produces less of it. Commercial skincare products with hyaluronic acid can be pricey, but with a few simple ingredients, you can create your own serum at home.
In this article, we’ll guide you through the process of making your own DIY hyaluronic acid serum and explore the benefits of using it in your daily skincare routine.
- Distilled water. Alternative: rose water
- Hyaluronic acid. It comes in white powder form. Don’t buy more than 5-10 grams initially, because it is not cheap, and you really don’t need much of it.
- Vegetable glycerin
- Preservative such as phenonip or germall plus
- Scale to measure quantities
- Glass beaker
- Stirring stick
- Small bottle
Steps: DIY Hyaluronic Acid Serum
1- Pour 100 grams (3.53 oz) of distilled water into a beaker.
2- Add 1 gram (0.04 oz) of hyaluronic acid powder into the beaker.
3- Mix and stir. The contents will start to become dense.
4- Pour 5 grams (0.18 oz) of glycerin into the beaker.
5- Mix and stir the contents. There is no need to dissolve all the hyaluronic acid powder; it will dissolve by itself.
6- Cover the top of the beaker with aluminum foil for approximately 1 hour.
7- After about 1 hour, remove the aluminum cover. You will notice that the hyaluronic acid powder has fully dissolved.
8- Add 1 gram (0.04 oz) of your chosen preservative into the beaker. Or as much as the store where you bought it from recommends.
9- Put the hyaluronic acid serum in a small bottle and you’re done!
Using Hyaluronic Acid Serum
The DIY hyaluronic acid serum can be used in natural skincare products like body creams, and it can also be used on the face as such:
Start by cleansing your face with water and soap. Then, gently pat a warm towel on your face to have your pores open up. After that, take some drops of hyaluronic acid serum on your fingertips and apply them to your face (avoid the eye area). Massage the skin for about 3 minutes, then wash the face with cold water.
DIY Hyaluronic Acid Serum Benefits
Hyaluronic acid serum has many benefits for the skin:
- Hydrates your skin: Hyaluronic acid serum is all about moisture, and using it will make your skin plump up and look less dry than before.
- Is ideal for all skin types: Because hyaluronic acid serum is a non-greasy product, it works well with all skin types.
- Has anti-aging properties: Aging causes our skin to lose moisture, so hyaluronic acid serum is the perfect solution for this.
- Soothes your skin: Hyaluronic acid serum is known for its anti-inflammatory properties, which makes it ideal for sensitive or irritated skin.
More articles on DIY natural handmade body oils and serums in this sub-category.
Video How-To on My Channel | Jinane World
The steps to make the DIY hyaluronic acid serum are demonstrated in this video.