About the author: Jinane Doughan is a professional make-up artist with a degree from the French Fashion Institute ESMOD Dubai. She specialized in natural handmade skincare and haircare products.
Her YouTube channel, Jinane World, has 600+ educational videos and 100K+ subscribers.
She is an accredited Master Trainer and gives courses at a reputed academy that has 16 branches worldwide. She sells online courses about natural skincare.
Disclaimer: This article is for educational purposes only and does not constitute professional medical advice. Use any natural skincare or haircare products at your own risk and perform a patch test before use.
Are you looking for a natural and safe alternative to commercial sunscreens? If so, you may be interested in learning how to make natural sunscreen cream at home.
By using simple, natural ingredients like coconut oil, shea butter, beeswax, and zinc oxide, you can create a creamy and effective sunblock that protects your skin from harmful UV rays without the use of harsh chemicals.
In this article, we’ll guide you through the process of making your own natural sunscreen cream step by step. Whether you’re looking for a DIY project or simply want to take control of what you put on your skin, this guide is for you. So let’s get started and learn how to make natural sunscreen cream that’s safe, effective, and easy to apply.
- Coconut oil
- Shea butter
- Zinc oxide powder
- Scale to measure quantities
- Stainless steel pot
- Wooden stirring stick
- Electric hand mixer
- Container to store the cream
Steps: How to Make Natural Sunscreen Cream
1- Add 50 grams (1.76 oz.) of coconut oil to a bowl.
2- Add 50 grams (1.76 oz.) of shea butter.
3- Add a 1/2 tablespoon (about 10 grams, or 0.35 oz.) of beeswax.
4- Melt the contents of the bowl in a hot water bath (bain-marie). A hot water bath is done by placing the bowl in a larger pot of hot steaming water. This will gradually melt the contents inside the bowl without causing them to burn. As the contents melt, make sure to mix every now and then.
5- After the contents have melted, remove the bowl from the hot water bath. While stirring the mix, allow it to cool and settle. It should take approximately 5 minutes for the bowl to cool down enough to proceed.
6- Add a tablespoon (about 25 grams or 0.88 oz.) of zinc oxide to the mixture.
7- Mix the ingredients thoroughly to allow the zinc oxide to dissolve fully. You should now have a fully-liquid white mix in the bowl.
8- Put the bowl in the refrigerator to allow the contents to cool and harden.
9- After the mix has hardened, use an electric hand mixer to whip the contents into a creamy texture.
10- Put the contents of the bowl into a container and you’re all done!
How To Use The Natural Sunscreen Cream
Start by cleansing your skin with your regular cleanser. This will ensure that your skin is free of any oil, dirt, and makeup.
Take a small amount of sunblock cream using a spoon (you can also use a spatula) and apply it to your skin. Massage/rub the cream on your skin until it’s fully absorbed.
It’s a good idea to apply the cream to any areas that are exposed to the elements, such as your face and neck.
Reapply the cream every 2 hours when outside. You can also reapply it more frequently depending on what activities you’re doing.
Benefits: Homemade Natural Sunscreen Cream
Here are some benefits of using a sunblock cream:
- Protection: UV rays from the sun can cause damage to your skin. This can include premature aging, sunburn, or even skin cancer. Using a sunblock cream can help protect your skin from UV rays, preventing any damage.
- Health: A sunblock cream can help improve your skin’s overall health by protecting it from environmental factors such as pollution and UV rays.
- Anti-aging: As mentioned earlier, UV rays can cause your skin to age prematurely. Applying a sunblock cream can negate this issue, leaving you looking younger!
- Evenness: Using a sunblock cream regularly can help even out your skin tone. In turn, this reduces the appearance of blemishes, making your skin look smoother and much more radiant.
- Hydration: A sunblock cream has moisturizing ingredients that can help hydrate, moisturize, and nourish your skin. As a result, your skin will feel much smoother and softer.
More articles on DIY body butters and creams:
- DIY Vitamin C Night Cream: A Natural and Nourishing Skincare Solution for Overnight Rejuvenation
- DIY Moisturizing Cream: Nourish Your Skin with Coconut Oil & Shea Butter
- Lemon Body Butter Recipe: DIY Skincare for Healthy, Glowing Skin
- DIY Frankincense Body Butter: Transform Your Skin with this Natural Skincare Recipe
- DIY Licorice Cream for Skin: Boost Your Skincare Routine
Video How-To on My Channel | Jinane World
The steps for how to make natural sunscreen cream are demonstrated in this video.