About the author: Jinane Doughan is a professional make-up artist with a degree from the French Fashion Institute ESMOD Dubai. She specialized in natural handmade skincare and haircare products.
Her YouTube channel, Jinane World, has 600+ educational videos and 100K+ subscribers.
She is an accredited Master Trainer and gives courses at a reputed academy that has 16 branches worldwide. She sells online courses about natural skincare.
Disclaimer: This article is for educational purposes only and does not constitute professional medical advice. Use any natural skincare or haircare products at your own risk and perform a patch test before use.
Introducing DIY Licorice Body Butter. Discover how to craft a luxurious and nourishing body butter infused with the natural fragrance of licorice.
In this guide, we’ll walk you through a simple yet effective recipe that combines the velvety richness of cocoa butter with the fragrance of licorice. Delve into the world of DIY Licorice Body Butter and unlock the secrets to supple, radiant skin.
- Cocoa butter. Soft, odorless.
- Licorice fragrance oil
- Oily color powder
Use only high-quality ingredients. Opting for premium ingredients will elevate the effectiveness, safety, and overall experience of your handmade beauty products.
- Scale to weigh quantities
- Stainless steel cup
- Wooden popsicle
- Small glass container to store your DIY Licorice Body Butter
Prior to use, ensure that both your utensils and containers are properly cleaned and disinfected. Wash them with warm soapy water, dry with a tissue, and then sanitize by spraying with 70% medical alcohol. Wipe them clean and let them air dry before use.
Steps: DIY Licorice Body Butter
1- Start by putting 30 grams (1.05 oz) of soft cocoa butter in a cup or bowl.
2- Place the cup in a bain-marie (hot water bath) to melt the cocoa butter. A bain-marie is done by placing the cup in a larger pot of hot steaming water. This will gradually heat/melt the cocoa butter in the cup.
3- After the cocoa butter has melted, remove the cup from the bain-marie.
4- With the tip of a wooden popsicle, add just a touch of oily color powder to the melted cocoa butter. Here, I am using red color.
Note: Oily color powders are quite strong. Just add a little at first, stir, and see if you want more color.
5- Stir thoroughly.
6- Now is the time to add the licorice fragrance oil. For 30 grams (1.05 oz) of cocoa butter, you can add 1 to 1.5 grams (0.035 to 0.052 oz) of fragrance oil, depending on how strong you prefer the scent to be. However, do not exceed 1.5 grams or 0.052 oz for this amount of cocoa butter.
7- Mix the ingredients thoroughly.
8- Pour the mix into a small container.
9- Allow the contents to cool. Your DIY Licorice Body Butter is now done!
How To Use: DIY Licorice Body Butter
Once you’ve created your DIY Licorice Body Butter, incorporating it into your skincare routine is a delightful experience. Follow these simple steps to make the most of it:
- Cleanse Your Skin: Before applying the body butter, make sure your skin is clean and dry. You can use your regular body cleanser to prepare your skin for the nourishing treatment.
- Scoop a Small Amount: Using clean fingers or a cosmetic spatula, scoop a small amount of the Licorice Body Butter from the jar. A little goes a long way, as the rich formula spreads easily.
- Warm Between Your Palms: Gently rub the body butter between your palms. This helps to soften the product further, making it easier to apply and ensuring an even distribution.
- Massage onto Skin: Begin by applying the body butter to your body in gentle, circular motions. Focus on areas that could use a little extra hydration, such as elbows, knees, and heels.
- Allow Absorption: Let the body butter absorb into your skin for a few minutes. The nourishing cocoa butter works to hydrate and revitalize your skin.
- Dress After Absorption: Once the body butter has been absorbed, you can go ahead and get dressed. The formula is designed to provide a non-greasy finish, leaving your skin feeling soft and velvety.
- Repeat as Desired: Use your DIY Licorice Body Butter as often as needed. It’s a wonderful addition to your daily skincare routine, and you can apply it in the morning or before bed for an indulgent treat.
1. Intense Hydration: DIY Licorice Body Butter is a powerhouse of hydration. Cocoa butter provides deep moisturization, offering relief from dryness and promoting a smoother, more supple complexion.
2. Nourishing Restoration: Cocoa butter is rich in fatty acids that aid in restoring skin’s elasticity and combating signs of aging. This body butter adds an extra layer of revitalization, leaving your skin feeling replenished and revitalized.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I adjust the fragrance intensity of the body butter?
Absolutely! The amount of licorice fragrance oil can be adjusted to your preference. Start with a small amount, and gradually add more if you desire a stronger scent. However, do not exceed 1.5 grams (0.052 oz) of fragrance oil for 30 grams (1.05 oz) of cocoa butter.
2. How often should I use the Licorice Body Butter?
You can use the Licorice Body Butter as often as needed. It’s a great addition to both your morning and evening skincare routines. Applying it to clean, dry skin allows for better absorption and hydration.
3. Is DIY Licorice Body Butter suitable for all skin types?
Yes, in general, DIY Licorice Body Butter is suitable for various skin types. However, if you have specific skin concerns or allergies, it’s recommended to do a patch test before applying it all over your body to ensure compatibility.
4. Can I use real licorice extract instead of fragrance oil?
Absolutely! If you buy pre-made licorice extract, or you make it yourself at home as per this article or this one, it can be a valuable addition to your body butter. Licorice extract is known for its potential skin-brightening properties and antioxidants. Add 2% to cocoa butter, e.g. for 30 grams (1.05 oz) of cocoa butter, use 0.6 grams (0.021 oz) of licorice extract.
5. How should I store the DIY Licorice Body Butter?
To maintain the quality of your DIY Licorice Body Butter, store it in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. If the body butter starts to melt due to warm temperatures, you can place it in the refrigerator for a short while to solidify it again without affecting its efficacy.
Here are more articles on DIY body butters and creams:
- Effective DIY Cream for Melasma Solution: Harnessing Avocado and Flaxseed Power
- Nourishing DIY Aloe Vera Body Cream Infused with Rose Essence
- DIY Rose Body Butter at Home: Petals and Cocoa to Unveil Your Radiance
- DIY Lotion for Soft Skin: Unlocking Luxurious Moisturizing with Argan Oil
- Powerful DIY Matcha Body Butter for Radiant Skin: Step-by-Step Guide
Video How-To on My Channel | Jinane World
The steps for how to make the DIY Licorice Body Butter are demonstrated in this video. The video covers three types of body butters, among them the DIY Licorice Body Butter. The quantities of ingredients used in the video are different than those in this article.