About the author: Jinane Doughan is a professional make-up artist with a degree from the French Fashion Institute ESMOD Dubai. She specialized in natural handmade skincare and haircare products.
Her YouTube channel, Jinane World, has 600+ educational videos and 100K+ subscribers.
She is an accredited Master Trainer and gives courses at a reputed academy that has 16 branches worldwide. She sells online courses about natural skincare.
Disclaimer: This article is for educational purposes only and does not constitute professional medical advice. Use any natural skincare or haircare products at your own risk and perform a patch test before use.
This DIY Oat Milk Hair Cream is specially crafted to provide deep hydration and nourishment, tailored to the unique needs of coarse and unruly hair types. Say goodbye to frizz, dryness, and tangles, and say hello to a healthier, more vibrant crown of hair.
In this article, we’ll walk you through the simple steps to create this effective cream at home and unlock the secret to radiant, well-behaved hair.
- Oat milk. It can be purchased readymade or made at home as described below.
- Cetyl alcohol
- Odorless soft shea butter
- Black seed extract, or green tea extract as per this article, or licorice extract as in this article.
- Preservative: Liquid germall plus
- Vitamin E
- Rosemary essential oil
Use only high-quality ingredients. Opting for premium ingredients will elevate the effectiveness, safety, and overall experience of your handmade beauty products.
How To Make Oat Milk at Home
- In a glass beaker, put 100 grams (3.52 oz) of oat flakes.
- Pour 200 grams (7.05 oz) of distilled water over the oat flakes.
- Stir the two ingredients, and allow the mixture to settle for ten minutes.
- After ten minutes, strain out the oat flakes residue to obtain the oat milk.
- Scale to weigh quantities
- Glass beaker
- Glass mixing rod
- Silicone spatula
- Electric hand mixer
- Container to store your DIY Oat Milk Hair Cream
Prior to use, ensure that both your utensils and containers are properly cleaned and disinfected. Wash them with warm soapy water, dry with a tissue, and then sanitize by spraying with 70% medical alcohol. Wipe them clean and let them air dry before use.
Steps: DIY Oat Milk Hair Cream
1- In a glass beaker, pour 200 grams (7.05 oz) of oat milk.
2- Add 37 grams (1.30 oz) of cetyl alcohol.
3- Add 78 grams (2.75 oz) of odorless shea butter.
4- Place the beaker in a bain-marie (hot water bath). A bain-marie is done by placing the beaker in a larger pot of hot steaming water. This will gradually heat/melt whatever is inside the beaker. As the contents melt, make sure to mix every now and then.
5- After the cetyl alcohol and the shea butter have been melted and mixed with the oat milk, remove the beaker from the bain-marie.
6- Now, use an electric hand mixer to whip the mixture until you achieve a creamy consistency. However, because the contents are still hot, a good creamy consistency can only be achieved if the process is done in phases as such:
- Use the electric hand mixer to whip the mixture for one minute.
- Allow the mixture to cool off and settle for 5-10 minutes.
- Repeat, till you achieve a creamy texture as in the image below.
This process may take 30 minutes to complete.
7- After you have achieved a creamy texture, allow the beaker mixture to cool down to a temperature below 40 degrees Celsius (104 degrees Fahrenheit).
8- In the meantime, in a separate cup, add the following:
- 3 grams (0.10 oz) of black seed extract, or green tea extract, or licorice extract.
- 1.5 grams (0.05 oz) of preservative liquid germall plus.
- Three drops of Vitamin E
9- With a glass mixing rod, stir the three ingredients in the cup.
10- Pour the contents of the cup over the creamy mixture in the beaker.
11- Add five drops of rosemary essential oil.
12- With a silicone spatula, mix thoroughly the ingredients.
13- Allow the contents to cool down fully.
14- Scoop the DIY Oat Milk Hair Cream into a container, and you’re done!
How To Use: DIY Oat Milk Hair Cream
The highly moisturizing DIY Oat Milk Hair Cream can be used as a hair bath or as a leave-in conditioner:
As a Hair Bath:
- Start with clean, damp hair. You can use your regular shampoo to cleanse your hair thoroughly.
- After shampooing, apply a generous amount of the DIY Oat Milk Hair Cream to your hair, focusing on the tips and any particularly dry or damaged areas.
- Gently massage the cream into your hair, ensuring even distribution.
- Leave the cream on your hair for about 15-20 minutes to allow it to deeply moisturize and nourish your strands.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly with lukewarm water until the cream is completely washed out.
- Style your hair as desired. You’ll notice it feels softer, more manageable, and beautifully hydrated.
As a Leave-In Conditioner:
- After washing and conditioning your hair with your regular products, gently towel-dry your hair to remove excess moisture.
- Take a small amount of the DIY Oat Milk Hair Cream (a little goes a long way) and rub it between your palms to warm it up.
- Apply the cream evenly throughout your hair, starting from the ends and working your way up towards the roots. Focus on areas prone to dryness and frizz.
- Style your hair as usual, whether you prefer to air-dry or use heat tools.
- Leave the cream in your hair – there’s no need to rinse. It will continue to provide moisture and keep your hair looking sleek and healthy throughout the day.
Feel free to adjust the amount of cream you use based on the length and thickness of your hair. Whether you opt for a hair bath or a leave-in treatment, the DIY Oat Milk Hair Cream will work its magic, leaving your hair beautifully moisturized, soft, and tamed.
Here are the benefits of using the DIY Oat Milk Hair Cream:
- Reduces Hair Loss: The nourishing ingredients in this DIY hair cream can help strengthen hair follicles, which may reduce hair loss over time.
- Helps Hair Growth: Oat milk contains vitamins and minerals that can support hair growth by providing essential nutrients to the hair follicles.
- Eliminates Split Ends: Shea butter, along with regular use of this cream, can help in preventing and minimizing split ends by nourishing and moisturizing hair strands.
- Helps Treat Dandruff: The cream’s moisturizing properties can help alleviate dryness and flakiness on the scalp, which is often associated with dandruff.
- Soothes Dry Scalps: Shea butter and oat milk in this cream can help soothe and moisturize dry scalps, providing relief from itchiness and discomfort.
While the DIY Oat Milk Hair Cream can promote healthier hair and potentially reduce hair loss, results may vary based on individual factors. Always consider your specific hair needs and consult with a professional if you have specific concerns.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can this cream be used on all hair types?
- This DIY hair cream is specifically designed for coarse and unruly hair types that require intense moisture and care.
2. How often should I use the DIY Oat Milk Hair Cream?
- For best results, use it as a hair bath once a week or as a leave-in conditioner after each wash, depending on your hair’s needs.
3. Will this cream make my hair greasy or weigh it down?
- When used in moderation and properly rinsed or applied as a leave-in, this cream should not leave your hair feeling greasy. It’s formulated to provide moisture without weighing hair down.
4. Can I store the cream for an extended period?
- To maintain its effectiveness, it’s recommended to store the cream in an airtight container in a cool, dark place. It should last for six months if stored properly.
5. Can I apply the cream to dry hair?
- While it’s most effective when applied to clean, damp hair, you can also use a small amount on dry hair to tame frizz and add extra moisture as needed.
Here are more articles on how to make natural haircare products:
- DIY Hair Oil with Fenugreek: A Step-by-Step Guide for Longer and Thicker Hair
- Frizzy and Unmanageable Hair? Try DIY Natural Keratin for Hair Transformation
- Effective DIY Hair Treatment: Nourishing Oil Bath for Frizzy and Dry Hair
- DIY Hair Thickening Cream: Boost Hair Volume Naturally
- Effective DIY Split End Treatment: 6 Natural Oils for Healthy Hair
Video How-To on My Channel | Jinane World
The steps to make the DIY Oat Milk Hair Cream for coarse and unruly hair are demonstrated in this video.