About the author: Jinane Doughan is a professional make-up artist with a degree from the French Fashion Institute ESMOD Dubai. She specialized in natural handmade skincare and haircare products.
Her YouTube channel, Jinane World, has 600+ educational videos and 100K+ subscribers.
She is an accredited Master Trainer and gives courses at a reputed academy that has 16 branches worldwide. She sells online courses about natural skincare.
Disclaimer: This article is for educational purposes only and does not constitute professional medical advice. Use any natural skincare or haircare products at your own risk and perform a patch test before use.
If you’re looking for an all-natural way to care for your curly hair, making your own DIY cream for curly hair is a great option. Unlike commercial products that can contain harsh chemicals and synthetic fragrances, homemade creams are made with natural ingredients that are gentle on your hair and scalp.
In this article, we’ll share with you an easy-to-follow recipe for a DIY cream for curly hair that you can customize to suit your hair’s unique needs. Get ready to embrace your natural curls with this simple and effective DIY solution!
- Cocoa butter
- Shea butter
- Beeswax – It is excellent for the curly and frizzy hair that is difficult to style.
- Sweet almond oil
- Fractionated coconut oil
- Wheat germ oil
- Rocca oil
- Tea tree oil
- Mica color powder (we’ll use orange mica color here)
- Peach essential oil (you can use any essential oil)
Note: The oils we are using in our cream are great for softening the hair.
- Scale to help you measure quantities
- Bowl and cup
- Container for storing the cream when it is finished
Steps: DIY Cream for Curly Hair
1- Add 10 grams (0.35 oz) of cocoa butter to a bowl.
2- Add 30 grams (1.06 oz) of shea butter.
3- Add 2 teaspoons of beeswax or 10 grams (0.35 oz)
4- Pour 60 grams (2.12 oz) of sweet almond oil.
5- Melt the ingredients in the bowl with a hot water bath (bain-marie).
A hot water bath is done by placing the bowl in a larger pot of hot steaming water. This will gradually melt whatever is inside the bowl without causing it to burn. As the contents of the bowl melt, make sure to mix every now and then.
6- Add a 1/2 teaspoon or 2.5 grams (0.088 oz) of fractionated coconut oil.
7- Pour a 1/2 teaspoon of wheat germ oil.
8- Pour a 1/2 teaspoon of rocca oil.
9- Add 3 drops of tea tree oil.
10- Mix the ingredients together.
11- Add a tiny amount of mica colors for aesthetics and mix.
12- Add 10 drops of your chosen essential oil and mix.
13- Pour the cream mix into a container for storage, and wait for the contents to fully cool and harden. Your DIY cream for curly hair is done!
Using The DIY Cream for Curly Hair
Before you apply the cream, make sure your hair is damp and clean. You can shampoo and condition your hair and then gently towel-dry it.
Next, take a small amount of hair cream and rub it between your palms. Then, starting from the ends of your hair, apply the cream and slowly work your way towards the roots. Make sure you distribute the cream evenly.
Lastly, keep in mind that the amount of hair cream you should use depends on hair length and thickness. This is why it’s a good idea to start with a small amount and add more if necessary.
Benefits: DIY Cream for Curly Hair
This product has several benefits such as:
- Protects your hair: This hair cream can help protect your hair from environmental elements such as humidity and heat. Using this product can help prevent damage and breakage overall.
- Defines your hair: Hair cream for curly hair can help enhance your natural curls further by creating a more polished look.
- Moisturizes your hair: This product is designed to help nourish and moisturize your curly hair. In turn, this can help improve hair texture and reduce frizz.
- Is a versatile product: You can use hair cream for curly hair as a versatile styling product to help with braid-outs, twist-outs, and more.
More articles on DIY natural and handmade haircare products:
Revitalize Your Hair with DIY Rosemary Hair Growth Serum
Refresh Your Hair with DIY Rosemary Hair Toner
DIY Fenugreek and Black Seed Serum: The Secret to Longer, Healthier Hair
Get Glossy and Gorgeous Hair with DIY Hair Mist: Try Our Simple Recipe Now
Video How-To on My Channel | Jinane World
The steps to make the DIY cream for curly hair are demonstrated in this video.