About the author: Jinane Doughan is a professional make-up artist with a degree from the French Fashion Institute ESMOD Dubai. She specialized in natural handmade skincare and haircare products.
Her YouTube channel, Jinane World, has 600+ educational videos and 100K+ subscribers.
She is an accredited Master Trainer and gives courses at a reputed academy that has 16 branches worldwide. She sells online courses about natural skincare.
Disclaimer: This article is for educational purposes only and does not constitute professional medical advice. Use any natural skincare or haircare products at your own risk and perform a patch test before use.
Discover the art of self-care with the DIY Lavender Carrier Oil. Whether you’re an avid aromatherapy enthusiast or simply seeking a natural way to enhance your wellbeing, this homemade lavender carrier oil is a game-changer.
Not only can it be integrated into your daily skincare routine, but it also serves as a versatile ingredient for crafting your own handmade beauty products. Join us on this aromatic journey as we unlock the secrets to creating a delightful and relaxing lavender-infused oil.
- Freshly collected lavender flowers with sticks, or dried lavender flowers
- Sweet almond oil
Use only high-quality ingredients. Opting for premium ingredients will elevate the effectiveness, safety, and overall experience of your handmade beauty products.
- Large plastic container to wash the freshly-gathered lavender
- Tall glass bottle to store your DIY Lavender Carrier Oil
Prior to use, ensure that both your utensils and containers are properly cleaned and disinfected. Wash them with warm soapy water, dry with a tissue, and then sanitize by spraying with 70% medical alcohol. Wipe them clean and let them air dry before use.
Steps: DIY Lavender Carrier Oil
A- Preparing the Fresh Lavender
1- If you can, gather naturally-growing lavender, flowers with sticks. This is what I did. If not available near you, you can buy dried lavender and skip to sub-section B, step 8b.
2- Put some lavender flowers with sticks in a plastic container. You need 15-20 sticks.
3- Pour water over the lavender in the container to wash them properly. Using a sieve, get rid of the dirty water and repeat again with clean water. Do this for a total of 3 times to ensure all dust and impurities are removed.
4- Spread the washed lavender over a tray, and let them dry in sunlight for 2 days.
5- Now you have natural lavender that has been washed and dried.
B- Making the DIY Lavender Carrier Oil
6- Take a couple of lavender sticks at a time, and snap off and discard their bottom part.
7- Insert the shortened, dried lavender sticks with their flowers into a tall glass bottle, pushing them in with your finger.
8a- Repeat till you have inserted all the 15-20 lavender sticks into the bottle.
8b- Alternatively, if you choose to use pre-purchased dried lavender flowers (no sticks here, only the dried flowers themselves), simply pour a sufficient quantity of dried flowers into the bottle, filling the bottom portion of the bottle.
9- Pour sweet almond oil into the bottle containing the dried lavender, filling the bottle to the top.
10- Seal the bottle, wrap it with a cloth, and store it in a cabinet away from light, for a period of 30 days.
11- After the steeping period of 30 days, strain out the lavender residue thoroughly to obtain your DIY Lavender Carrier Oil.
How To Use: DIY Lavender Carrier Oil
1. Direct Skin Application:
Gently apply a few drops of your DIY lavender carrier oil onto clean, dry skin. Use your fingertips to massage it in, focusing on areas that may need extra care, like your face, neck, or any dry patches. Lavender oil is renowned for its moisturizing and calming properties, making it an ideal choice for promoting healthy skin. You can use it as a daily moisturizer, especially before bedtime, to wake up with refreshed, soft skin.
2. Infusion in DIY Beauty Products:
Your homemade lavender carrier oil can be the secret ingredient in a range of DIY beauty products:
- Body Scrubs: Enhance exfoliation and aroma in homemade body scrubs.
- Face Creams: Add a calming touch to your DIY facial creams.
- Body Lotions: Create soothing lavender-infused body lotions.
- Lip Balms: Elevate your lip balm with a hint of lavender fragrance.
- Bath Bombs: Make relaxing lavender-infused bath bombs.
- Massage Oils: Craft aromatic massage oils for relaxation.
- Shampoo and Conditioner: Boost hair care products with lavender benefits.
Remember to perform a patch test before applying the oil to your skin to ensure there are no adverse reactions, especially if you have sensitive skin or allergies. Enjoy the versatility of your lavender carrier oil in your beauty routine and revel in the calming effects of lavender throughout your day.
Here are the top benefits of using DIY Lavender Carrier Oil:
1. Skin Nourishment: Lavender carrier oil is rich in vitamins and antioxidants, making it an excellent moisturizer for the skin. It helps hydrate and soothe dry, irritated skin, leaving it soft and supple.
2. Relaxation and Stress Relief: The calming aroma of lavender oil can help reduce stress and anxiety. When used in massages or added to bathwater, it promotes relaxation and a sense of tranquility.
3. Improved Sleep: Lavender oil is well-known for its sleep-inducing properties. Applying the oil or inhaling its scent before bedtime can help improve the quality of your sleep, making it easier to fall asleep and stay asleep throughout the night.
4. Pain Relief: Lavender carrier oil has anti-inflammatory properties that can help alleviate minor aches and pains. Massaging the oil onto sore muscles or adding it to a warm compress can provide relief from discomfort.
5. Hair Care: When used on the hair and scalp, lavender carrier oil can improve the health of your locks. It helps reduce dandruff, strengthen hair follicles, and promote hair growth. Additionally, it leaves your hair with a pleasant, natural fragrance.
Incorporating DIY Lavender Carrier Oil into your self-care routine can bring a myriad of benefits, enhancing both your physical and mental well-being. Whether you use it for skincare, relaxation, or hair care, this versatile oil is a valuable addition to your natural beauty arsenal.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How is DIY Lavender Carrier Oil Made?
- To make DIY lavender carrier oil, dried lavender flowers are infused into a carrier oil like sweet almond oil. The mixture is typically left to steep for a period, allowing the oil to absorb the aromatic properties of the lavender.
2. Is Lavender Carrier Oil Safe for All Skin Types?
- Lavender carrier oil is generally safe for most skin types. However, it’s advisable to perform a patch test before applying it to a larger area, especially if you have sensitive skin or allergies.
3. Can I Use Lavender Carrier Oil for Hair Care?
- Yes, lavender carrier oil can be used to promote hair health. It helps reduce dandruff, strengthen hair, and encourage hair growth when applied to the scalp and hair.
4. How Should I Store DIY Lavender Carrier Oil?
- Store your DIY lavender carrier oil in a cool, dark place, away from direct sunlight and heat. Use a glass bottle with a tight-fitting lid to preserve its quality, and it can typically last for several months to a year.
Here are more articles on DIY natural and handmade body oils and serums:
- DIY Lemon Peel Carrier Oil: Energize Your Handmade Beauty
- Effective DIY Serum for Eye Wrinkles: Your Natural Age-Defying Solution
- DIY Natural Serum for Oily Skin: Aloe Vera and Tea Tree Power Blend
- Simple DIY Jasmine Carrier Oil: Unveil Your Pathway to Beautiful Skin
- DIY Serum for Thicker Eyelashes: Get Gorgeous Lashes
Video How-To on My Channel | Jinane World
The steps to make your own DIY Lavender Carrier Oil are demonstrated between the timestamps 0m54s and 4m59s of this video.