About the author: Jinane Doughan is a professional make-up artist with a degree from the French Fashion Institute ESMOD Dubai. She specialized in natural handmade skincare and haircare products.
Her YouTube channel, Jinane World, has 600+ educational videos and 100K+ subscribers.
She is an accredited Master Trainer and gives courses at a reputed academy that has 16 branches worldwide. She sells online courses about natural skincare.
Disclaimer: This article is for educational purposes only and does not constitute professional medical advice. Use any natural skincare or haircare products at your own risk and perform a patch test before use.
The DIY turmeric and lemon scrub has a powerful combination of ingredients that is well-known for its skin-nourishing and brightening properties.
In this article, we’ll provide you with an easy and step-by-step guide on how to make your own turmeric and lemon scrub, along with tips on how to use it for best results.
So, let’s get started and learn how to power up your skincare routine with this amazing natural scrub.
- Sugar – Choose sugar that is a bit coarse
- Turmeric – Ensure you use the turmeric that is special for skincare
- Shower gel that is transparent or very slightly colored
- Soft shea butter – If you don’t have, you can also use sweet almond oil, jojoba oil
- Lemon essential oil
- Optional: phenoxyethanol preservative.
Steps: DIY Turmeric and Lemon Scrub
1- Add 100 grams (3.52 oz) of sugar into your bowl.
2- Add 5g ( 0.17 oz) of shea butter.
3- With your gloves on, knead the shea butter with the sugar by hand till the mix becomes somewhat uniform.
4- Now, let’s add the shower gel. Add it slowly while mixing to be able to adjust the consistency to your preference. Add more if you want your scrub to be more liquid or less if you prefer it more solid.
5- Add 1g (0.035 oz) of turmeric.
6- Mix well.
7- Now, we will add the lemon essential oil. For this quantity of scrub, we will add 3g (0.1 oz) of the essential oil. Mix thoroughly.
8- As an option, you can add a preservative to the scrub at this stage. You can add 1g (0.035 oz) of phenoxyethanol per the quantity of scrub we are making in this article. This way, you can be assured that even if water drops accidentally get introduced into the scrub while using it, the preservative will keep it from spoiling.
However, if you prefer not to use a preservative, it’s important to make sure that no water gets introduced into the scrub. This is because water can promote bacterial growth, which can cause the scrub to spoil. So, if you don’t want to use a preservative, be sure to store the scrub in a cool, dry place and use clean, dry hands or a spoon to scoop out the desired amount.
9- The DIY turmeric and lemon scrub is now ready!
How To Use The DIY Turmeric and Lemon Scrub
- Take a warm shower to open up your pores.
- Turn off the water and apply a small amount of the DIY turmeric and lemon scrub onto your wet skin, starting from your feet and working your way up.
- Use circular motions to gently massage the scrub onto your skin, focusing on rough or dry areas.
- Be sure to avoid sensitive areas like your face, and rinse off any excess scrub from your hands after application.
- Leave the scrub on your skin for 5-10 minutes to allow the ingredients to penetrate and nourish your skin.
- Rinse off the scrub with warm water and pat your skin dry with a towel.
- Apply your favorite moisturizer to lock in hydration.
Use this DIY turmeric and lemon scrub once or twice a week to keep your skin feeling smooth and refreshed. Remember to patch test the scrub on a small area of your skin before using it on your body, as turmeric can sometimes cause skin irritation. With regular use, you’ll enjoy softer, smoother, and more radiant skin all over.
Benefits of The DIY Turmeric and Lemon Scrub
- Exfoliation: The granular texture of the scrub helps to remove dead skin cells, revealing brighter and smoother skin.
- Brightening: Turmeric is known for its natural skin-brightening properties, while lemon helps to even out skin tone and reduce the appearance of dark spots.
- Anti-inflammatory: Turmeric is also anti-inflammatory, which means it can help to soothe and calm irritated or inflamed skin.
- Moisturization: The natural oils in the scrub help to moisturize and hydrate your skin, leaving it feeling soft and supple.
- Antioxidant: Both turmeric and lemon are rich in antioxidants, which can help to protect your skin against damage from environmental stressors like pollution and UV rays.
Get great ideas on how to make your own DIY scrubs in these articles:
Soapy Body Scrub for Smooth Skin
DIY Matcha Body Scrub For A Healthy Skin
Transform Your Skin with a DIY Rose Body Scrub: Natural and Effective
Exfoliate and Nourish Your Skin with a DIY Foaming Body Scrub: Step-By-Step Guide
Luxurious DIY Homemade Body Scrub To Revitalize Your Skin
DIY Lightening Body Scrub With Blue Nila And Licorice Extract
Video How-To on My Channel | Jinane World
The steps to make the DIY turmeric and lemon scrub are demonstrated in this video.