About the author: Jinane Doughan is a professional make-up artist with a degree from the French Fashion Institute ESMOD Dubai. She specialized in natural handmade skincare and haircare products.
Her YouTube channel, Jinane World, has 600+ educational videos and 100K+ subscribers.
She is an accredited Master Trainer and gives courses at a reputed academy that has 16 branches worldwide. She sells online courses about natural skincare.
Disclaimer: This article is for educational purposes only and does not constitute professional medical advice. Use any natural skincare or haircare products at your own risk and perform a patch test before use.
For a natural and affordable way to achieve smooth and healthy skin, consider making your own gel face scrub with just 4 simple ingredients. By using xanthan gum, vegetable glycerine, finely ground walnut shells, and distilled water, you can create an effective exfoliating scrub that helps remove dead skin cells, unclog pores, and moisturize your skin.
This DIY recipe is easy to follow and can help you achieve a radiant complexion without relying on expensive skincare products or harsh chemicals. In this article, we’ll guide you through the steps of making your own gel face scrub and share some tips on how to use it for the best results.
- Xanthan gum
- Vegetable glycerine
- Finely ground walnut shells. Alternative: Finely ground almond shells. We cannot use sugar in this scrub, because one of the ingredients of the scrub is distilled water. If you use sugar, it will dissolve.
- Distilled water
- Preservative Germal plus
- Tea tree essential oil – Optional
- Water color powder – Optional
- Scale to weigh quantities
- Glass beakers
- Glass mixing rod
Ensure that the utensils are properly cleaned and disinfected: Just wash them with warm water and soap, wipe them dry with tissue, spray them with medical alcohol 70%, then wipe them and let them dry.
Steps: Make Your Own Gel Face Scrub
1- Add 4 grams (0.14 oz) of xanthan gum.
2- Add 20 grams (0.70 oz) of vegetable glycerine.
3- Mix thoroughly. The xanthan gum powder dissolves well in the glycerine. Keep stirring till you see the xanthan gum fully and uniformly dissolved.
4- Add 164 grams (5.78 oz) of distilled water.
5- Mix well till you see the mixture transform into a gel-like blend.
6- Now, we will add water color powder. This is optional, but adding a touch of color to the gel face scrub makes it more appealing. With the tip of a toothpick, add a little and mix. If you find that the gel color is still too light, add a bit more.
Note: In this gel face scrub, and because one of the ingredients is distilled water, we can only use water color powder. We cannot use oil color powder or mica color powder.
7- Next, we will add the preservative: 1 gram (0.03 oz) of germal plus. Mix well.
8- Add 8 grams (0.28 oz) of finely ground walnut shells. Mix thoroughly.
9- It is optional to add just one drop of tea tree essential oil.
10- Finally, stir the contents well, and pour the gel face scrub into a glass container.
How To Use: Gel Face Scrub
After making your own gel face scrub, it’s important to use it correctly to get the best results. Here’s a simple guide on how to use your new homemade scrub:
- Begin by cleansing your face with warm water to remove any makeup, dirt, or impurities.
- Apply a small amount of the gel face scrub to your fingertips and gently massage it onto your face in circular motions.
- Avoid the eye area and any open cuts or wounds, as the scrub may cause irritation.
- Rinse off the scrub with warm water and pat your face dry with a clean towel.
- Follow up with your favorite moisturizer to keep your skin hydrated and soft.
- Use the gel face scrub once or twice a week, depending on your skin type and sensitivity.
Remember to store your homemade gel face scrub in a cool, dry place and use it within a few weeks to ensure freshness and effectiveness. With regular use, your skin will feel smoother, softer, and more refreshed, thanks to the natural exfoliating and nourishing properties of the four simple ingredients in this DIY recipe.
Benefits: Gel Face Scrub
Here are some benefits of using this Gel Face Scrub:
- Exfoliation: The finely ground walnut shells in the scrub provide gentle yet effective exfoliation, removing dead skin cells and revealing smoother, softer skin.
- Unclogging Pores: By removing dead skin cells and impurities, the gel face scrub helps to unclog pores, reducing the appearance of blackheads, whiteheads, and other blemishes.
- Nourishing: The natural ingredients in the scrub, such as vegetable glycerine, can help moisturize and nourish the skin, leaving it feeling soft and smooth.
- Affordable: Making your own gel face scrub is an affordable alternative to expensive store-bought products, and you can customize the recipe to suit your individual needs.
- Natural: By using natural ingredients, you can avoid harsh chemicals and synthetic fragrances that can irritate sensitive skin.
Overall, using this gel face scrub can help improve the texture and appearance of your skin, leaving it looking and feeling healthy and refreshed.
For more articles on DIY natural handmade scrubs, check these out:
- Indigo Scrub with Sugar and Olive Oil: Revitalize Your Skin Naturally
- Natural Beauty Hack: How to Make Beetroot Body Scrub for Healthy Skin
- Get Silky Smooth Skin with this Easy DIY Rose Scrub with Blue Nila
- DIY Himalayan Salt Scrub: Luxurious Skincare Treatment at Home – Pamper Your Skin
- DIY Turmeric Face Scrub – Revitalize Your Skin with 4 Ingredients
Video How-To on My Channel | Jinane World
The steps to make the DIY Gel Face Scrub is demonstrated in this video.